"To portray true image of islam as doctrine that promotes peace, tolerance and moderation"
Upon decision by his Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai Insurance of Law No.9 of 2017 on the establishment of the International Institute for Tolerance.
The Law on the establishment of the International Institute for Tolerance includes launching the Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Tolerance Award, administered in accordance with the provision of the law and establishing its statutes in correlation with the Institute.
According to His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, "Since its establishment, the UAE has promoted the values of tolerance, coexistence and acceptance and tolerance is a fundamental value in any successful society; it os the foundation of stable and prosperous nations, and happy peoples". His Highness highlighted the UAE's endeavor to establishing a culture of openness and intercultural dialogue in our societies and against extremism, fanaticism, and intellectual repression"
The International Institute for tolerance has a number of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Periodically organized international conferences related to tolerance in the UAE
- Carry out and publish research and reports relevant to the values of tolerance
- Overseeing the Award, empowering it to perform its activities and achieve its goals
- Organizing seminars, workshops, forums and specialized training programs aimed at promoting the spirit of tolerance and peace in the world and bringing peoples closer to each other
- Launching and encouraging initiatives aimed at promoting tolerance and coexistence among all members of society
- Any other functions or powers required to achieve the objectives of the Institute
In this respect, the award will be awarded across five sector - three honoring the efforts to spread the value of tolerance in philosophy, literary creativity, and visual arts, and two competitions organized by the awards committee, focusing on youth projects and new media initiatives
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid announced the establishment of the International Institute for Tolerance and the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Tolerance Award in order to collate Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum Global Initiatives (MBRGI), which is the largest humanitarian and development institution, embodying 33 institutions implementing over 1,400 development programs that support over 130 million people in 116 countries around the world, and working in cooperation with 280 partnerships including international and regional organizations, governmental institutions and private-sector entities
To nurture, encourage and honor contributions to world tolerance, demonstrating the tolerance of Islam, and affirming Dubai’s central status for harmony and coexistence among people and nations.
Transparency & openness, Credibility & trust, Independence & neutrality, Innovation & creativity, Tolerance, Happiness & well-being, Performance & Governance